Sunday, June 10, 2012

Maybe I don't need perfect

I have the feeling I have portrayed this little house that we have moved to as the perfect, quaint little cottage.  If so, that is very much a misconception as yesterday proved.

Jack's grandpa built this house when Jack was little, and Homer didn't go in for frills.  This house is small and odd.  Electronic devices are where they are because that is the wall with the outlet rather than because  I wanted it there.  I know I somewhere I mentioned that Jack spent 3 days scraping old popcorn ceilings so I could have smooth pretty ceilings.  Overhead lights are small and dim and are being augmented and upgraded.  The little bathroom was a horror though Jack dear has tripled the cabinet space in there for me.     We won't mention the former renter's name lest someone be related to him and be offended, but it will suffice to say that there were some moments during the pre-move cleaning that I just sat in the floor and childishly cried.  None of these things top the frustration Jack had yesterday though.  This house has window units and apparently no one ever felt the need to run all of them, plus the hot water heater, and the stove.  Through in those ceiling fans we bought and all those lights Jack put in and it was a load. Our breakers are worn out and yesterday, wires got hot and almost melted. This was after Jack had worked on the breaker box . . . after he had drained the hot water heater to work on it . . . and worked on the sink plumbing and put in new faucets for me.  Poor man, he had a list yesterday.  The catalyst seemed to be the A/C in the living room but to let it all cool, we shut everything down and took our supper makings to the Big House (as Jack calls his mother's house) to do our evening cooking.  That was fine because Rubilee's kitchen is a joy to cook in.

We came home, kicked on the air in the back of the house, and the bedrooms were fine by bedtime.  I fretted during the night and got up several times to check the breaker box but all is well as long as we leave the living room off.  We will get parts and try to solve this. My brother is an electrician and we can always call him.  I may have fretted, but it wasn't the sort of impatience I usually feel about these sorts of things.  Maybe I am getting wiser and know these things happen, I am betting grace is at work.

I suppose I should be frustrated or gloomy about the prospect of a hot day, but I am not.  The lake is beautiful this morning as mist rises from it.
My coffee is good.  My shower had hot water and lots of pressure. I am surrounded by 11 colors of paint in a small house.  I can hear turkeys and a whole cacophony of song birds.  We will try to get to church for the first time since the move.  I shall choose contentment and thankfulness for my home.  I am thankful for a husband who works so hard to make this a good home for us, even though it already is. I am thankful for grace today.

2 comments:

  1. I trip the breaker every time I try to run the panini maker, toaster oven and window air unit all at the same time. Old homes and electricity. But for some reason wiring doesn't scare me as much as plumbing. I dread calling a plumber. The panini maker and toaster oven can just be used seperetly.

    Your new space is going to be worth all of this hassle. You should write a book about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventures and, even more so, mis-adventures make for the best stories. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete