Monday, September 24, 2012

State Fair

When I was a wee bitty girl, and to my great delight, I was allowed to accompany my dad to the State Fair.  Actually, I remember going several time when I was small.  My daddy was the Ag teacher and some years, momma would take us kids with him when he had to take students.  I remember at least one of my brothers being in a stroller at the fair.  I remember once Daddy parked the bus right over a mud puddle which I promptly fell into.  For years I had a wooden recorder that was a fair souvenier and somewhere, I still have some collector's coins that were fair purchases.  Eventually, we stopped going with dad.  My guess is that later on, Momma was also teaching and then once there were more of us kids, it probably just wore her out and got too expensive.

But at least once, when I was five or six, just a little thing, my daddy let me go with him and the Ag kids while Momma stayed home.  I know it was a rainy day and cool.  I remember having damp feet all day.  But I also remember feeling important as my father's shadow.  We did lots that day, but what I remember best is Dad taking time from the Ag  barn just for me.  I remember the midway and exhibits, but the best was going to a star show.  We went in a building and laid down on mats and watched a beautiful star and laser light show.  I was entranced.  I doubt I had ever seen anything like that before, and I never saw anything like that kaleidoscope again.  But just as clearly as those dancing colors, I remember lying next to dad to watch it.

All these years later, I still love those memories with my dad.  Probably after that, the memories are mostly shared with Ben and Tuck and later on Ian and Rachel.  But that was my time with him.

Yesterday was Bell's first trip to the State Fair.  We were already tired from a long week, and Jack and Bell were tired from sleeping in a tent down on the water, but we went since it was the last day.  I don't think she saw any thing that just glued into her mind yesterday, but it was so fun showing her around.  To her unjaded little eyes, everything was new and exciting.  Probably the best of today was watching her face just lit up with wonder while she watched the Zoppe circus.  I enjoyed it too, but watching her soak up the magic of good performers was magic in itself.  Holding that little hand in mine while her daddy held the other, walking in the sunshine, seeing wonders through her eyes.  That was what it was about.

1 comment:

  1. I used to live at the Tulsa State Fair. We were always helping out with the 4-H building. My dad would leave the camp trailer up there. I loved it. Of course, it's all changed so much now.

    ReplyDelete