Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Whirl

My life is this weird series of being a single parent weeks divided by learning to be a wife again weeks.  So far it has gone fairly smoothly, perhaps because I remember how hard it was when we did this before.    On and off for our first three years, Jack worked in Guthrie during the week and came home on weekends.  I purely hated it.  We weren't very good at being married yet - I remember thinking that marrying Jack was such a disservice to him, that we surely had to find our footing soon lest we end up miserable.  When he was away, I did my own thing, cooked as I pleased, watched what I wanted.  And when he came home, it was hard to switch into being a partner.  I know I feared him leaving for Guthrie angry so I tiptoed around anything that might displease him.  I loved him doing those rooms in Guthrie, but looking back, it wasn't a good way to begin a life.

This time around, we seem to be on more even ground.  Maybe we learned each other enough that I am confident in us, but when he is home, we slide right back into real life fairly well.  We miss him when he is gone, but I am too busy to fuss.  

I desperately needed fall break and wish I weren't already sucked back into the merry-go-round whirl that is school and home.  So far, as long as I can make it a week, Jack comes home again and I get to share, both the joys and the stress.  He thinks November will be a long month of him being mostly gone - I am already telling myself, "two months until Christmas Break," and then I realize it is only two months until Christmas.  Talk about whirl.

There are plenty of bright spots - and there is plenty of stress.  This is what I read in your blogs, reading that you are trying to find that balance, that way through.  It is supposed to lovely here the next few days - if you can, stop and breathe. Look around and breathe some more.  The whirl will still be there, but draw on those who help you, draw on that strength within.

No comments:

Post a Comment