Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cozy and Thankful for the Family That Came With Marriage

It is amazing how much differenc water, a warm house, and some sleep make.

We made the move up to Rubilee's mid morning yesterday, pushing our stuff in a wheelbarrow through the snow.   A 7 year old thinks she should pack her own bag (which has an equal amount of stuffed animals and good choices like a book and a board game), a mom packs toiletries, clothes, the pillow and blanket ( to which the kid has a Linus like attachment), supplemental groceries, briefcase full tests and AP a Research papers, a sled, and craft stuff and games ( to keep kid busy when she discovers that stuffed animals have a limited entertainment value.). Yes, we unglamorously trudged up with a wheelbarrow.

It was a good day.  Rubilee and Harold have very different internal thermostats so it was a very toasty day, the kind where I wear my thinnest pants and a tee shirt while the heat is set on 76.  That's totally okay.  We played in the snow a little, we made cookies and biscotti, we had baths in the magic tub ( it has jets) and Bell was going to sleep in the magic bed ( hide-a-bed) though she ended up in my bed.

My in laws have a big house with living quarters and bedrooms on both floors so we were able to spread out.  When they wanted family time, we all were upstairs, but when they needed a break, they went downstairs where they mostly live when we aren't here.  When they went to bed, I cracked a window for a bit over my bed and turned the heat down a twitch.  I made sure I reset it when I got up.

I am still stressed about our water situation.  I hate to think of having to dig up the sidewalk to replace the line that will surely break while we are shut down.  I hate to think of Jack driving home Monday and having to come here instead of home, possibly for most of his stay at home because if the pipes break, it will not be a quick fix.  On the other hand,  I am really thankful for this warm house with its magic tub and wide spaces.

But here is the thing.  I know so many people who dread going to their in-laws, who see their spouse's family as something to be endured.  I am so lucky, so blessed to get to share Jack's family.  His parents are kind and seem to genuinely like us being here (they may be ready for a break come Monday).  They are gracious and hospitable, but are also past treating us like company.  Rubilee has finally in the last year let me help in the kitchen.  Harold feels free to tease me.  But they do the big things like open their home as easily as they do the small things.  Yesterday, Harold went in the truck and went up and down my driveway making a path so I could get my car out if I have to.  I always cringe when I hear other people talk about in-laws as if they are something to be endured.  I know my dad's parents see my mom as the daughter they didn't have, so maybe I just a good example of what this extended family thing should be.  Or maybe I am just blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment