Saturday, February 1, 2014

Waiting on the Weather

It seems so much of this winter has been waiting to see what the weather does, and here we are again.

Bella and I made grocery run in the morning - I made sure we hit Walmart before 9 before the Saturday masses showed up.    We were going to do it after school yesterday but Bell had a melt down about being hungry and tired while I dealt with a parent after school.  A melt down before Walmart is just not a good beginning so we came home.  Today was good though.  We both woke up in a good mood and managed to each buy new sneakers after the grocery buying.  Bell even asked to try on clothes in Academy.  That has never happened before.

My menu for the week includes lots of pots of soup and beans - cold weather simmering things, though really, it all depends on Jack.    He is supposed to come home on Monday, but he might be getting sick or he might get stuck up there in the weather. I just don't cook the same when it is just me.  For now we are in limbo, waiting to see how he feels.  He might have just been stiff from being out in the cold and in the truck all day yesterday, but he is not at a 100% today.   And then we will also have to see how much the weather deteriorates and how quickly.

Spring soccer sign ups are Monday . . . I have no idea if they will have them if the weather indeed is bad, but it know I have a little one who wants to play again.  I should have gone to last week's sign up  . . . But I was waiting until Jack was home so we could divide the chores up.  Hard to get it all done and have time to go back into town.

And then there is school.  I really need a day to stay home and grade.  Don't you dare suggest that is what the weekend is for.  The weekend will surely involve grading, but a multitude of mom tasks (like laundry and cookie baking with my child) beckon as well.  So yes, I really need to grade that 9 inch deep stack of papers that has been turned in since Wednesday.  But I really don't want to miss school.  I have lesson plans made.  There are projects scheduled and iPad labs reserved.

Speaking of lessons, I had my AP kids do a version of speed dating with rhetoric and lit  terms.  Everyone used the iPad labs to research a term and build a mini-lesson over the term.  Then the kids rotated around the room, hooking up with a new partner every 7 or 8 minutes.  In those minutes they taught each other their terms and then moved on until everyone had heard every lesson.  This sounds like no big deal, but it was a big deal for my quiet kids who suddenly were willing to talk as much as my show offs.  My hesitant kids shared with my confident kids.  They questioned and explained and looked like they were having so much fun.  I am not really good with fun lessons that actually teach, so this was a big deal.   It was a vacation from my stressing over getting them to take the AP exam and whether or not they will pass.

Anyway, we are in limbo.  Will it snow?  Will we make it to church?  I am pretty sure church will be a no go and a I will be hunkered down with Bell.  I am really willing to flow with all of it as long as Jack gets home well.

No comments:

Post a Comment