Sunday, May 25, 2014

Summer is Here




 I know that summer is not officially here, but as far as I am concerned it started yesterday - so far it has been a beautiful beginning of soft rain and clouds.  Those sorts of days nourish my soul that is already dreading the hot dry days of July and August.  I already dread giving up two weeks to AP training. I dread the never ending math flashcards that will be the bane of Bell's existence.  I don't even want to think about school supplies. 

As always I have a monstrous list of projects for the summer - Jack and I are going to try to paint my classroom (more on that later - for now, think of super heroes with famous authors' faces) and I have some holiday presents I need to start now.  But what I really want to do right now is dig in the dirt.  Today should have been church and then dinner with my family and grandparents, but Bell woke up throwing up this morning so we are home folks.  Instead I harvested the broccoli and pulled up the plants. I eyeballed my baby squash plants - some will be ready by weekend.  I got some fennel bulbs in the ground for the butterflies and staked up some pepper plants that are already bent over with peppers.  Jack will have to help me put up the big wires to hold up the tomatoes this week - they have loved the rain and are already big.  I started my pumpkin seeds today - should have done it a week ago, but my brain just doesn't function the last week of school.  While it drizzled, I poked around in the flower beds and was glad to see that a lot of Jack's grandma's lilies will bloom this year as opposed to only 2 last year.  

Really, I just wanted to be outside all day, but it seems a bit neglectful to leave a sick kid in the house alone.  For now, I will think of salsa that will be around the corner, squash on the grill speckled with herbs and butter, evenings under the tree looking at the lake.  For now, I will enjoy the clouds and the cool and be thankful for the break.

1 comment:

  1. It's been so cold here! My garden is weeks (maybe months) behind on the bounty that your's is producing now. I love that you have broccoli.

    ReplyDelete