Saturday, August 20, 2016

Addendum to Summer of Run

Progress is slow, to be sure, but progress nonetheless.  Today, I had to slow to answer a phone, carry a kitten, and slog up a hill against the wind, so my my pace was down.  But my feet still moved.

My mother-in-law has been fussing.  "You should just do a little light weights everyday" and   "Walk while you watch TV" and "You just need to watch what you eat and you won't need to do all that"  are her comments about how she thinks I shouldn't run.  For some reason, she thinks I am not acting age appropriate and should just give all this up.  Other days the point is that I should join a gym and exercise with people and run on a treadmill.  I totally get that she hates me to run on the road.  She is convinced that some one will run over me or steal me. However, I have zero desire to exercise with other people - I am around literally hundreds of people every day at school.  Running is bit zen like - just me and my trail of cats and dogs who follow me - pied piper style is the way to run apparently. I certainly don't want to have say hi or even wave or head nod.  I just want the solitude with my sweat.  We have conceded to look for a treadmill to use when it gets cold - Rubilee thinks it will be too cold in just a month. I still plan to run on the road and brave that hill (it's like a glorified stair master) anyday  it is decent.  In Oklahoma, we have a lot of decent winter days.   For now, it was a gloriously cool morning for August.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admire those with a desire to run. I have never been a runner. I'm not even sure I'd run if a bear was chasing me.

    ReplyDelete