Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturdays should be Lazier

Good Little Bee, Just Working Away
I slept last night.  Slept deeply and long without interruption.  Yet, I feel as if my body is slogging through chest deep water.  I have a twinge of  a headache this morning, and though the farmers market is probably bustling with good things and interesting people, I need to just be home today.  

Early morning found me, still in Jack's cast off shirt that I have claimed as pajamas,  in the tiny garden plot picking tomatoes.  Even from the top of the hill, I could hear the hum of bees from the pumpkin patch that is spreading over the slope toward the road.  I don't usually get to visit the garden in the morning.  Just not enough time if I am going to get us to school and our separate buildings and all that jazz.  But morning is when the blossoms are open and the bees are making their rounds.  I know that people go on about clover honey and lavender honey.  I wonder about pumpkin honey.   This morning I was reminded once again that we fooled around and never found hay to mulch out the grass and weeds.  I could live without the stickers and grass, but I don't feel so bad about these little blue things that have popped up in the pumpkins.  There are actually some in the flower bed that I allowed to stay.  They are just too pretty to evict.

I think it is already hotter today than it has been all week, but I am so excited that fall is coming.  If it were a bit cooler, I would persuade Jack to go do outside things with me like pile up brush and we really need to walk the land just to see what shape it is in.  I so want to go out in the canoe some more too.    I always think that Fitzgerald had it right in Gatsby when Jordan says "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."  

I think today will be a putter-about-clean-house sort of day.  I am roasting another batch of garlicky, herby tomatoes to be used with pasta later in the week.  The house is already redolent with garlic and oregano and basil wafting about.  Somewhere in this day I need to get some papers graded and recorded.  A few hours of work with that should have it covered. Shopping list to make for tomorrow.  The bathroom needs a scrub and clutter needs dealt with.  But I do not think I will work out today.  It will be a day of soft clothes and iced coffee if I can talk Jack Dear into making another pot for me.   And thanks to Misti, I feel that I am going to be thinking Campbell-esque thoughts all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment