Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sunrise

At 4:15 this morning, when the coyotes got the house menagerie stirred up into barking and whining and hissing, I decided that Misti Pryor is right.  I need a vacation from vacation, but  I don't think it will be happening this year.  In only the first three days of this week we spent a day with grandparents, a day with friends at their pool, and yesterday was Medicine Park and the Witchtas, getting Avery spayed, and picking blackberries.

Poor Avery has a small bladder and is still in house training mode so I normally just get up with her around 5:30, but this morning when she needed at out after the coyote alarm, I thought I might just go back to sleep.  First I had to remove a kitten from my bed and by the time I got settled, Jack said, "You know, my alarm is going to go off in 30 minutes."  And that was the end of sleep.

I am so painfully tired that I can't think, even though I did  have some coffee with the sunrise.  When I first could see the lake this morning, I could tell it was another one of those mist shrouded sunrises over the water.   The water is warm - last night I stood in the edge to pick berries I couldn't reach from shore, but this wonderful cool morning air makes a foggy mist hover over the water.   At first, it was too dark to see the ripples of the fish and turtles or the reflection of trees, but when I finished my first cup of coffee, I grabbed my camera, bathrobe and flip flops.  I started in the yard, but found my self drifting across the pasture catching the sun as it rose higher above the water, until I was at Rubilee's yard.  She brought her coffee out to join me and we talked flowers and kids and animals for a bit before I drifted back to my own house to feed my tribe.

I am not sure what all today brings.  The day after Huxley went to his new home, a dumped half-grown puppy showed up, emaciated and runny eyed.  We must have had a neon sign flashing "vacancy - dump your pet here."  We can't keep him - I have committed to having 4 cats and one dog spayed and vaccinated already this summer.  Anyway, he would be another trip hazard for Rubilee.  I have called and called the guy at the Elgin Animal Rescue but can't through.  I am waiting to hear if a place in Carnegie can get this little guy a space with a vet.  Limbo.

Today, I might drop the dog off somewhere.  I might get a nap.  I ought to go buy shoes with Bell and visit the grands while they are down at my folks . . .  if I am awake enough to drive that far.  I at least won't  be cooking for a few days since Jack went back out today.  Perhaps we won't go anywhere at all and I will sleep in the sun and even out this tan.  Whatever the day brings, it was certainly a gorgeous start.



No comments:

Post a Comment