Friday, June 28, 2013

Highs and Lows

This week has been a little crazy, maybe a lot crazy.  Some of it is good and right and I am giddy about it.  Some of it makes me tear up.

On the family front, we began the week by going to Amy's wedding.  I am always a bit teary at weddings, but this one was magical.  I was so happy watching them be happy and felt so blessed that they let us come and watch those moments.  My own family began being sucked into the mad ride of wedding preparations this week as things begin to move forward for my brother's wedding.  Bell was presented with a flower girl dress and there is much talk of the where and when and how when I am at my folks.  Sometime this weekend, I should probably take Bell shoe shopping while there are still white dress shoes to be had.  By the time September gets here I will be plotting days off to help with the doings.

On the home and animal front things aren't so giddy.  At the beginning of the week, it became apparent that our dog Huxley was not co-existing peacefully with my in-laws.  Let me go back a step and say that I have always felt that when we take an animal, it is ours.  We have never dumped a pet. We have never given one away except for the offspring of strays who show up pregnant.  We don't leave them at the Humane Society.  Our pets aren't spoiled with a seat at the table, but they are ours and taken care of.  But now we are sending Huxley away.

He was dumped a year and a half ago and we kept him.  Sometimes he is infuriating when he barks in the night or rolls in maure for third day in a row.  But he is still ours, with his own bed in our room and his own stuffed animal.  Rubilee is getting to be unsteady on her feet and she is still trying to stay active and at least check her flowers and water them herself.  Hux gets to playing and rolls into her.  He doesn't mind her and is too rowdy.  She is afraid of his antics and it makes her nervous.  If she falls, at 84, well . . . I see broken hips and an end to this current fragile existence she and Harold have carved out.  I can't be here 24 hours a day and I can't lock the dog in a cage.  I can't stomach the thought of her being hurt either, so he is going to live with Jack's nephew's in-laws.  They want him, even after being told of his faults and they are animal lovers.  I feel irresponsible and traitorous.  I feel guilty, but I can't choose an animal over a person's well-being.  Maybe this new home will be a better match for Hux.  Maybe.  Maybe.

I don't know what the new week will bring.  Hux's new owners will come for him tomorrow.  Jack is going away for a few days to work.  Rubilee is not feeling well.  The grasshoppers and chiggers refuse to be defeated.  Shoe shopping needs to happen. It promises to be another full week.



No comments:

Post a Comment