Sunday, June 23, 2013

Country Mouse

It is a slow morning on our little hill this morning.  We have lots going in the afternoon, but this morning is quiet.  We both slept well, despite a dog who barked in the night, a kitten who cooed like a pigeon in our ears, and those vague worries when our child is not home but sleeping at Grandma's.

Today and yesterday started off cool and I had my coffee on the porch.  Yesterday, I watched the sun rise over the lake.  Today, I was a little slower in getting up and settled for communing with a busy woodpecker.  I knew the cool would be fleeting, so yard work followed.

I have been thinking of city people and country people lately.  Most of my town friends don't need three hours on a riding lawn mower and an hour with a push mower to get their yard mowed.  It doesn't take an hour just to water raised beds and baby trees.  They don't drive thirty minutes to get a loaf  of bread or forty five to find a Walmart.  Their dogs don't routinely show up covered in horse manure or dead animals.  Sound like a hassle?  Yeah, maybe.

  But I also have country friends who, like me, wouldn't trade this life for a big fancy house in town.  We like watching the sunrise over our pastures and lakes.  We like being able to be free from constraints.  If we wanted to shoot a gun or lie in the sun naked, we could.  We can go to the back door at ten at night and holler for the dogs, knowing we aren't bothering anyone.  If we waste our well water on trees, well, it was our well water and who cares if it wasn't an even numbered day.  We even like mowing and watering before 8 in the morning.  There is just something sublime about early mornings in the country.

Today will be busy.  We have a wedding to attend and a child to collect.  I am sure there are plenty of chores still to do, but for now . . . A little more coffee will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment