Sunday, June 16, 2013

Joyful Father

When I was first pregnant with Bell, I couldn't believe how excited Jack was.  My excitement was mixed with trepidation, but Jack just seemed so pleased.  I had worried that he would be displeased, but he just bounced when he walked.  He spent his evenings rubbing my belly and reading to us or singing to her.

When Bell was born, Jack bonded with her first.  She was a c-section baby and I was just so groggy for so long.  The first night he couldn't see her breathe in the bassinet, so he put her on his chest and that is how they slept the first few nights.

Things haven't changed much.  She is a daddy's girl if there ever was one.  If she has a bad dream, she is snugged up with him the rest of the night.  If she has a scrape, he is the doc.  If she needs a sounding board for a new somg, he is the first audience.  Whether she needs a comforter or an exploring buddy, he is it.

Jack is an amazing father. I watch the way he loves our child, whether it is indulging a whim or whether it is firmly holding her accountable for her behavior, and I am overwhelmed with thanksgiving.   So many parents see their children as an inconvenience, but not him.  He is a joyful father.

Right now he is also a tired father who seems to be asleep because he worked far into the night or he is off on a job.  Friday was his day home.  Instead of doing his own thing and even though he had worked until 2:30 in the morning, he took us to the pool because a little girl had been waiting all week to show him her skill on the diving board.  Yesterday, he headed out for  his 4 days away.  I know he would much rather play the role of starving artist or work in a theater for little pay, but he knows that little girls are expensive, from their health insurance down to their predilection to nice shoes and owning a tribe of animals.

 I am thankful that I have a husband who cares enough about our stability to take a job that really isn't his dream job and that takes him from home so much. There have been other seasons of our lives when the right choice for the time was to take a low paying job to be able to be home more.  I am thankful that he tries to adapt to what we need most at the time.

Jack Dear gives so much of himself to us - even though he won't be around or even see this post for a few days, I know I am blessed in having him for my parter in life and father of my child.  I cannot ask for more than this kind, loving, passionate, and faithful man that we have.

2 comments:

  1. I will never forget watching Jack and Belle play rock, paper, scissors. It was like they shared one brain. I never expected fatherhood to fit so well on him, but I love how happy it's made him.

    ReplyDelete