Friday, January 3, 2014

The Case of the Missing Eyebrow

When Bella was 3 she went through a self haircut phase.  She found scissors I didn't even know we had, hid behind the recliner, and worked in her pony tails.  It was never so bad that we had to visit a salon and the phase was pretty short-lived, but it was one of Bell's many "DIY" projects.  There was the lotion phase that involved her sneaking in the bathroom and opening a box of 12 different Bath and Body scented lotions and applying them all to the point of being slick.  It takes multiple baths to get a kid non-greasy after such an event, the tub has to be scrubbed afterwards, and your kid still smells odd.

Yesterday, I discovered a new oddity.  I was helping Bell rinse her hair after she washed  it and noticed that one eyebrow looked odd.  I though it was just mussed up from when I dumped water over her head.  In fact, half her right eyebrow is mostly gone.  There is a thin line at the bottom and a few stray hairs at the top and one half is there, but the most of the other half is just gone, leaving a strip of very white skin beneath.  I wasn't mad - just amused and curious.  I badgered her off and on all day - had she played in tape, with my razor, borrowed my tweezers?  She adamantly refused to tell, maintaining that she did nothing and had no idea how it happened.  Finally, I asked her if she would tell Jack.  She said, "Yeah, I will tell dad next time we go camping because we always tell secrets when we camp."  Ahah! I pointed out that she had just admitted to having done something, but she just grinned and walked off to get ready for bed.

  I slept terribly last night - my school dreams have returned and my old hip bursitis kept me up most of the night, but I am up and ready for the last Friday of freedom.  I plan to work on a project for my parents' birthday (or anniversary at the rate I am going).  I need to get those work out DVDs going. And maybe I will sweet talk Bella out if her secret.  I just hope her eyebrow grows back because she is funny looking right now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. I knew a woman whose older sisters held her down and waxed off her eyebrows when she was a kid. They never really grew back and she always penciled them in. Maybe you could 'scare' her into leaving them alone. I also went through the hair cutting phase. Wait...I'm still in that one.

    ReplyDelete