Saturday, March 29, 2014

Happy Saturday To Me

I have been short of patience and tired all week.  Last night I had hit the point of being so tired that I couldn't fall asleep.  I blame the EOI.  For you non-educator friends, it is the state end of instruction test that is given in several subjects.  For sophomores, the English test must be passed or they do not graduate.  I get a little stressed every spring over this.  I don't have blow off days in my class, though there was a day this week when only three students showed up to my 2nd hour.  I didn't teach because they all three had make up work to do.  Where were the rest?  On a field trip or working a track meet for the middle school.  I totally get that field trips and track meets are important, but I just wonder if those teachers who pull these kids out for this stuff would do so if they had the responsibility of a state test.  Electives don't have tests, just us core classes.

Okay - enough ranting - it won't help the twitchy eye or the not sleeping.  Only the end of May will help that. Or a good bottle of wine and a back rub (hint, hint Jack Rucker).

Today is glorious Saturday, the day usually reserved for house work and laundry.  Not today.  There isn't much wrong with the house that a thirty minute tidy up won't fix.  Instead, there is sunshine and a promise of little wind.  The local farm that is turning itself into a vineyard is having a festival today and thanks to Jack's volunteer work planting grapevines last spring, we got free tickets.  I think Bell and I will go even though Jack is working - there is supposed to be story telling, vendors, face painting, and dancing.  Sounds right up our ally.

Bell wants to run into town first and exchange a duplicate birthday present - she doesn't know it but we also are going to Penney's for some shirts for her.  This kid has grown a little over an inch since Christmas and close to three since school started in August.  Last fall's short sleeve shirts look like they need to go in the give away box. I am sure the shorts are too short too.

I think when we come home, there will have to be a tree watering - we only got 3/10 of an inch Wednesday and I live on a sandy hill. While we are out,  Bell is ready to try out her birthday presents.  She got outdoorsy stuff this year - you know, camo netting to hide behind while she watches birds, flashlights for camping, bug catching gear - oh, and a BB gun and her first pocket knife.  Before you say it, yes, we are aware that she is a girl.  Thankfully, though, she is not a girly-girl.  I wouldn't know what to do with one of those.  This is the kid who likes to have her nails painted and wears earrings but then draws the line, preferring bugs and animals and playing in mud.  She likes the idea of target shooting  with us, but my gun is just too loud.  A BB gun seemed natural; I never had one but always wanted one.  And pocket knives?  My sixteenth birthday present from my grandpa was a Buck knife.  Since it isn't supposed to be windy today, I think we will set up targets for her.

I would have liked to sleep in this morning, but my internal clock is convinced that 5:20 is wake up.  I even had clean sheets to luxuriate in.  But I also had good coffee to get up to and quiet house to have to myself for just a bit.  I don't think there will be much quiet involved in the next week - I plan to go rally at the Capitol on Monday despite my distaste for crowds, I want to hear Sarah Webb on Tuesday, there is a vet appt for a dog on Tuesday, hair appts on Thursday . . . Nope, no quiet at all.

I hope you are all out enjoying this spring weather.  Get out and enjoy the Sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment