Monday, March 31, 2014

Hey Ho. Let's Go. And if you don't, don't you dare complain in the fall

As I stood in throng of people today, shoulder to shoulder with teachers and parents and just people who cared, I was really proud of all these people for getting out.  It was windy.  There was a two hour wait at the shuttle busses at Remington.  Bathrooms were scarce.  You had to park far away and walk.    But these people get it.

All those 25,000 plus people who came to the Capitol get that if you want change, you have to speak up.  Otherwise, we would be like those people who don't vote and then complain about the government.  If you don't exercise your right to protest in some way, then you don't deserve the change you want.  Not everyone can go stand around the Capitol all morning.  I have friends who were not physically able to be there. I am sure others couldn't manage child care.  But maybe those people could write their senators and reps.  They can talk about these causes with their friends and family, sparking grass roots change.

So many people who aren't in the education field don't know why we were there today.  At lunch, a waiter thought we were just protesting for a raise.  I would love a raise.  I really would love to be able to afford to not scrimp, but that is a teacher's life in this state.  So yes, a raise is good, but a first step would simply be to not cut the education budget.  What I don't want is over crowded classrooms.  I don't want unfunded testing mandates. I don't want a single test that determines whether or not my child gets to advance a grade level.  I do want rigorous standards, but I want them set and not to change multiple times in a year.  I want a window of transition when those standards are set.  I do want rigorous standards, but I want money to be there for tutors and text books and . . . Oh, yeah, just to pay us teachers and not lay us off.

I am mad.  I am angry.  There should have been at least 678,000 parents and grandparents and teachers there today - that is how many kids are in Oklahoma schools.  I know, I know.  People have health issues, kids at home, and jobs to go to. But doesn't your child's education matter?  Change doesn't happen quickly.  If you want it, it needs to start now.  Once these measures go into effect, the harder they will be to change.

So thousands of teachers stood shoulder to shoulder.  There were speakers and posters and chanting. But first, we solemnly said the pledge of allegiance and sang the national anthem.  As we sang, tears ran down my face, not a surprise when my voice cracks when every day I pledge allegiance in class.  Every year, I talk to my students about protest and rights and democracy when we analyze The Declaration of Independence.  Today we were protesting because we had the right to.  We live in a place where we are not afraid of the Russians crossing our border. Our children are not child soldiers in Africa.  We are Americans with the right to first sing an anthem and then demand a better life.  Simply the opportunity to be able to protest is a beautiful thing.

Thoreau said that he did not demand at once no government, but at once a better government. If you are a non educator friend, you need to find about Fallin and Baresi and their roles in this educational crisis.  And you need to remember come election time when you demand a better government.

As we were leaving, music played over the loud speakers.  The Ramones were yelling "Hey Ho," and my circle of friends were chanting "let's go." But really, let's go make some change.

No comments:

Post a Comment