Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ssshhhh.

I have been sitting snug in the recliner with cups of kaluha and whipping cream laced coffee for the past hour perusing mail, messages, facebook, and cookie recipes.  I closed the door to my room lest I inadvertently wake Bell.  I needed a bit more quiet time than usual this morning. Really, I just wanted my IPad a bit longer.   As soon as she wakes up, she will want to go to Pottermore.com and check some potion she is brewing or see where her house is in points standing. And then ensues the long battle of making sure she doesn't spend too much time plugged in to an electronic device today. It is hard when I know she doesn't feel good enough to do much more than lie around and I am too busy cleaning house (or being sucked into a book) to find her another occupation.

I am thankful for the quiet this morning.  This may jinx it, but Kate hasn't barked incessantly at anything.  It isn't freezing.  There are zero pressing matters to attend or places to go today.  Tomorrow will be a go to church, visit my mom, and stop for groceries day, but today is just a homebody day.  I can wear leggings and a flannel shirt and no one will care.  That prim, proper, hardworking English teacher persona (my principal is delusional if she really buys that facade) can be discarded for the day.

This is not to say there aren't goals.  Housecleaning drives Jack nuts so I do big cleaning every other weekend when he is not home and just tidy on weekends he is home.  He comes home Monday, and it is important to me that when he comes home, our house is orderly and fresh. It should be a bit of a sanctuary after he has been gone all week, so it will be scrub the bathroom, dust, vacuum and mop, laundry day.  I have a bit more than usual because I want to wash all these germy blankets Bella has nested in all week.  I was so tired last night, I didn't even wash up the day's dishes so there is a bit of kitchen work as well.

Last weekend we had our pictures made and I really need to work on cards this weekend.  I bought every single Christmas gift save one online - they have all arrived and I have not opened a single shipping box to check its contents, so that needs tending to.   I bought a toy last week as well - no it isn't anything kinky.  I bought a cookie press and I am dying to bake some experimental batches, try some new recipes today.  My grandparents and Jack's parents don't need a thing, but both sets have serious sweet tooths.  In addition to that seriously brandied up  fruitcake marinating in the hall cupboard, I think they are getting an assortment of baked treats.  I know Rubilee was reminiscing about her youth when her housemates made gingerbread and brandy Alexanders, so I have the ingredients for both.  I thought one day over break it might be fun for Bell, Rubilee, and me to bake gingerbread together.

The only other thing in my list is to finish JoJo Moyes' One Plus One today.  I know realistically that it all won't get finished today, aside from the housework.  That is a must.  I won't rush.  No breakneck speed cleaning for me today.  For now, my coffee cup is empty and it is past 8.  Time to waken the child and start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment