Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snow Day

It would be so easy to be discouraged with winter, the gray, the cold that seeps into my bones and settles there. I suppose I am really just a spring and summer girl at heart for I won't be any happier in August when the heat has sucked the life out of me.

In truth, we haven't missed much school for bad weather - today, yesterday, and perhaps one other day. Most of the snow and ice has come in on weekends keeping me from church. The worst was missing Misti and Mark's wedding. I am not a big wedding goer - it requires in general too much mingling, socializing, and politeness than I typically have in me. But this was important - Misti finding her soul mate was worth wearing a dress for, was worth going to lend our voices in joyous celebration. We were looking forward to seeing some of the old Davis hall crowd as well. Our crowd has become scattered to the winds. We have lost a few - just thinking of Chris and John make a few tears come to my eyes but also smile in memory. We have all grown enough to know that the world a rough, tough place. We are wise enough to know that happiness must be seized and gaurded and treasured. We want the best for each other and Misti has found the best. That is something to celebrate.

As much as we wanted to go, I think when I crept home Friday afternoon, my car was the last car to go up our road until things began to thaw on Sunday. We were snowed in. I am thankful that though we missed the Pryor to McClellan extravaganza, that we were warm and safe and well fed. During one snow event last year, our well went out and we had to live with Rubilee for over a week. Another snow event involved Harold waiting until we were snowed in to decide he needed to go the ER, and the EMT's had to carry Harold up the hill since they couldn't get the ambulance down the hill to the house. Yet another winter storm led to Jack having to drive Harold in to the ER over icy roads at night. None of that has happened this year. Yes, I am tired of draining water lines every time I water the berries and fruit trees. I am tired of trecking through the cold to the well house with laundry. However, if I missed the wedding, I did so with a husband who cooked supper and made creme brulee for me. Bella and I sledded down everything from Rubilee's driveway to the backside of hte lake dam.  That might have been a bit too fast for me.  Either way, I was home with the ones I love and that is worth a good deal.

For the moment, I am thankful for the brilliant streaks of sunlight that lit up the eastern rim of the lake this morning. We are one week and one day away from Spring Break. We don't have big plans, but it will mean that spring is right around the corner. I have almost 200 baby plants under grow lights that will be ready to move to the greenhouse as soon as Jack gets it up. I didn't plant a single garden vegetable - since I am doing a raised bed, the 12 tomato and pepper plants I have to buy won't break the bank, but I spent an embarrising amount of money on bedding plants last year so am trying to grow my own this year. 200 sounds like a lot, but I am sure not all will make it. I could have happily planted another 200. I know. Plant addiction.

The most stressful time of the year is coming up at school - End of Instruction tests are looming. The AP exam is right around the corner. The EOI is a from a new vendor this year, and for the first time a portion of my yearly eval will be determined by test scores for a test that students are not required to pass. Stress indeed.

But not today. Today, I will clean a little house. I will finish the last half of AP essay grading. When the snow melts, I will go get Rubilee's paper for her and have my daily chat/check in with the in-laws. For the moment, I am sitting in the sunshine with good coffee, a girl scout cookie, baby plants in view, and a child who is glad for a stay home day.

No comments:

Post a Comment