Saturday, March 28, 2015

Happy Nine

It is absolutely hard to believe that nine years ago at this time in the morning, I was getting to hold Margaret Isabella for the first time, her already clean and swaddled, me still in recovery and not very coherent after a c-section, Jack so happy that his feet didn't touch the ground.  7:30 this morning found me discovering that maybe I did like frosting after all, as I carefully made delicate ruffled edges around a cake. Truly, this truffle frosting is divine.

Jack's cake cutting privileges have been revoked  - that is enough for four girls!
We didn't do anything huge for her birthday this year - we had a state park spring break last week, we are planning a short trip for an upcoming long weekend, and a big trip is hovering on the horizon.  Couple this with a girl who really couldn't think of anything she wanted, and we decided a low-key birthday was on order.  I found a box set of Percy Jackson for her and  I also picked up The Twenty One Balloons for her since she has been dying to read it and our library doesn't have it.  Jack and Bell are already reading it together, cuddled up on the couch while I blog.  As big as she is, as much as she reads on her own, thankfully,  she still enjoys snuggling with one of us and being read to. There were some other small science things that all met approval. In a few hours, we will get ourselves together and head to town with Grandma Rubilee for a birthday lunch and movie.

I think this is going to be a year of a lot of change for Bella.  A month ago, we had to go training bra shopping.  She doesn't need one nearly all the time, but she has budded out just enough that a few  shirts are too clingy.  Two months ago, we had to force her to wear clothes at home.  Now, she insists on clothes 24 hours a day, her preference being to put on Old Navy pajama pants and camis as soon as she gets home.  Not exactly public appearance clothes, but a big step from wanting to be a streaker.   Acne has appeared, but she is doing a great job of using her new cleansing products.  Suddenly, instead of us making her brush her hair, she locks herself in her room to spend 30 minutes getting ready.  And the mood swings.  Lord, the mood swings.  I have no idea if this is normal. I remember 12 and 13 being difficult, but not 9. Some days, she is as logical and rational as an adult.  Some days, we have reverted to toddlerhood.  There are days when she is very responsible, helpful, and proactive in doing things for herself.  Other times she seems offended that we hadn't signed up to be her servants.  I love my child dearly, but I just never know which version of her will climb out of bed in the morning.  Maybe this will level out sooner than later.  In the meantime, we are taking the "encourage and praise approach" when she deserves it and firmly putting her back on track when she gets off, usually with a lot of drama on her part.   I do love the glimpses of progress I see, whether it be in the conversations she begins (yesterday was questions about Civil Rights in the 1880s vs 1930s vs now) or her volunteering to do some job to help me out.   We will certainly need wisdom as we help her grow into what is hopefully a compassionate, wise and Godly girl.

 Happy Birthday, Missy B.

No comments:

Post a Comment