Monday, July 2, 2012

Just Me

A few days ago, an old friend made a comment about me during our high school days,  and it has got me to thinking that now I am  not quite the girl that friend once knew.  A year or two ago, a former professor of mine and I had an online discussion about the importance of occasionally re-inventing one's self.  Some people probably think that is what I have been doing lately, what with the move to the farm and job change and all.  However, I don't really feel that way.  Instead of reinvention, I feel like I might have just found the niche I have been looking for.

I grew up half country kid, half town kid.  We lived at the edge of a small town, close enough to the pool to ride there on my bike.  Close enough to school to walk and not ride the bus.  On the other hand, I once had a spell of having to milk a goat every morning, and I remember keeping bottle calves in the field behind our house.  My dad was the ag teacher.  My mom grew up on a farm and always had a garden and canned and sewed.  We spent holidays and summers at my grandparents' farm.  In high school, I was always in ag.  I was also the academic sort of kid who actually thought trig was fun.  I wasn't the fashionable, homecoming queen girl or the cute, spunky cheerleader.  I was the girl in the school greenhouse or the girl with the library book.  Looking back, I probably seemed stuck up or stand off-ish to others, but I  really just didn't know what to say to anyone.   In college, I shed the country girl image, but kept the academic image . . . and probably the stuck up image, though I didn't realize until later.   In retrospect, I don't think I ever quite felt comfortable in any of these roles.  They just weren't quite entirely me even though they were parts of me.  Later, I became an English teacher.  Then, I became a wife and, eventually, a mother.  Those were important additions to the parts that make up me, but  I spent a lot of time worrying about the sort of student, teacher, wife, or mom that I should be instead of . . . well, just being.  

He won't be getting this shirt back
 I feel pretty good about where I find myself now.  I don't care much anymore that my sewing is awful or that I am not good with small children.  I don't even care that I don't like Nathaniel Hawthorne (there probably isn't a rule that English teachers who shun Hawthorne are burned at the stake).  It is okay if I am not Betty Crocker or Ree Drummond or any of those amazing homemakers out there.  I am certainly not my mother.  Instead, I am who I am.  I am best when I get to workout.  I just really don't like brown rice and whole grain pasta, even if they are supposed to be healthy.  I don't even like arugula.  Instead, I would gladly eat cool whip straight from the container.  I have learned that I don't really like to wear make up, so I mostly don't.  I love to cook but am terrible at getting an entire meal to all finish cooking at the same time.  I love to dig and muck about in the garden. I think I am young and not old yet.   I haven't owned cowboy boots since I was 18 and probably won't ever again, but I love Jack's old Navy shirt and a pair of old deck shoes for my summer garden uniform and plaid school girl skirts and riding boots for  winter attire.  

I used to worry a lot about not being the sort of wife Jack needed or the sort of mom that Bell needed.  I worried about not being the right sort of teacher.   I don't worry so much anymore.  Everyone seems okay with the me they got.  I think Jack's willingness to let me figure out who I am might be one of the best gifts he has given me.   He never expects me to fit some image.  Some days, he gets a baker.  Some days a filthy gardener.  Some days it is the girl saying, "listen to this" and then reading him a passage from a book.  Today, the wife he got was one who will feed him leftovers because I want to finish a desk I am working on.  All those parts work pretty well together.  They feel right.

4 comments:

  1. *Standing Ovation!* YOU ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to comment that that's an old Navy shirt, and not on Old Navy shirt. I have plenty of shirts provided by my Uncle Sam, and none from that other store.
    (and she's an awesome wife: in ten years I've never starved or felt unwanted.)
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when people put me in a box and expect me to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being your authentic self is so much easier then being what ever it is your perception of whatbyou think people want you to be. Those people in your life now? They love you for who are. We all do. Your
    're amazing.

    ReplyDelete