Thursday, July 26, 2012

Princess Buttercup

After poor Thunder's sad ending, Bell wanted to try again on getting a kitten. We already have Huxley the fishy smelling dog and Dr. Coconut the cross eyed cat, but we had promised her a pet of her own as part of a bribe to move cheerfully. (She really didn't want to move here at first.) Our friend Amy was helping to care for seven abandoned kittens and generously offered to let Bell pick one out.

Princess Buttercup is also proficient in lego destruction

Oh my, were those kittens sweet. There were adventuresome kitties, shy kitties, orange kitties, black kitties. Kitties everywhere! A little orange striped baby was the most curious and friendly and was just the obvious choice for us. She was Bell's kitten from the moment we got in the car. She curled up in Bell's lap, rolled over on her back, and alternately played and napped on our trip home.

Since it was her own kitten, Bell got to name it (though Jack and I retained veto power.) Thankfully, Bell broke from her tradition. This is the first female animal, real or stuffed, that she did not name a variation of Rose. We even once had a Rose Junior. Instead, this  orange wad of fluff has been named Buttercup. Amy had called her Fearless. I had to add Princess. Jack calls her Bonnebell. Bell has added Pouncer to the list. Poor thing. Fearless Pouncer Princess Bonnebell Buttercup is a long name for such an itty bitty kitty. Her personality might be big enough to handle such a moniker though. She has emerged as the alpha personality in the house. Huxley is afraid of her. Coco defers to her and lets her eat first. On her first morning here, I foolishly offered her dry cat food. She imperiously swept her little self to the fridge and took up a vigil there until I caved and got out the wet cat food. She goes up a tree faster than any cat I have seen before and she feels quite free to stake her claim to any surface she chooses, whether it be Huxley's dog bed or my lap.

In many ways, she reminds me of her owner: small and determined. It does seem that she will not be the only new addition to the family though. Remember Clemintine the digging dog? Well there were also three other dogs that have had to find new homes since we have been here. Additionally, the former occupant of the house left a cat, a tiny little female long haired calico. For over a month now, she has been skirting the yard and eating scraps and food that we leave out for her. Yesterday, Bell and Jack got her to be friends and this morning found her in Jack's lap. I suppose I will be taking yet another animal for its shots next week.  I don't know if I will get out voted, but I think she looks like an Eleanora.  I wonder if I get two votes since I am allergic to her and yet am buying her cat food.

1 comment: