Sunday, November 25, 2012

Good Company Feeds the Soul

The last day of a break is always a little dismal.  I don't ever want to leave that routine of getting home and family things done with out being rushed.  But this break is done and over.

We had planned on being at church and then dinner with the family, but church got nixed when Jack needed to help his mom this morning with some car issues.  This was the last chance to see my grands though, so we went ahead and headed to Loco for lunch.  I used to see my grandparents almost every day they visited since their cabin is right up the trail from our old house, but they were down 10 days this time and we only managed two visits.  Not cool.  Not cool.

It was a bittersweet visit.  I can tell that they have aged a lot in the last year and that makes me sad.  I have always been super close to them and even lived with them twice, so the whole old age thing makes me weepy and morose, but it was so right to be able to pop down to the cabin to check in on them and have them invite my child to stay for lunch.  According to Bell, it was the best lunch ever with each bite filling her mouth with "an explosion of taste."  Jack and I lunched up at the big house because we had company.

One of the church families came for lunch and fellowship.  Their kids and my sister and brother are all friends and both families are enjoying becoming better friends.  My grandparents came for dessert and everyone chatted and laughed while the younger set played cards.  It was good to see everyone from 6 to 83 enjoying each other's company.  We all knew that we were on the same page in life, choosing the same things.  There was no awkwardness, no pretense.  Just fellowship.

Not a single exciting thing happened today.  Instead, it was the sort of day that left me feeling content, blessed . . . My soul just felt fed from the day with those I loved and admired.

1 comment:

  1. there's nothing that will refill your soul quite like a gathering of people you love. I'm glad you had a good break. We can forge ahead until the next one. I know we can!!!

    ReplyDelete