Thursday, April 11, 2013

Good Bye, Normalcy. Hello, Drastic Changes

My friend Cindy made a comment in her blog that she didn't have anything new to say.  That is where I have been for almost a month.  At work I am frantically trying to get in all the review I think the kids need.  I have exactly 5 days of class before the big state tests start for the English department.  I have taught all year; free days don't exist in my room . . . But perhaps we shouldn't have written one essay and done another instead.  Perhaps we should have reviewed singular indefinite pronoun agreement again.  I still have 10th graders writing 5th grade essays.

 But this isn't new or exciting - just tiring.

Here is something new.  I have prayed all winter that if Jack is supposed to just take care of his folks, then a financial solution would appear.  If he were to work, then a job needed to be found.  Doors need to open.  Peace needed to be given.

Last week, out of the blue, an old friend called to see if Jack was interested in a job.  The plus side is that we could possibly be out of debt in a year if we are careful.  We could afford a short trip somewhere.  We could have some work done on the car.  There are other things on the money list that would be an option, things we keep postponing or categorizing as luxuries.  We also like the boss.  That always helps.

There is a downside.  There is always a downside.  He will be driving a lot and sitting a lot.  He does better, mentally and physically, when he is active.  He definitely smokes less and is happier.  He will be gone from home often for several days at a time.  When he is home, he is effectively on call.  That may mean that it is hard to take little short trips even.  It is highly likely that he will work weekends and holidays.  His day will often start in the wee hours or end in the wee hours or both.

Jack is worried about my ability to juggle vehicles, animals, a kid, and two sick, old people and still manage work.  I am a slightly worried, but I am pretty sure I will manage.  There might be colorful expletives involved.  I am almost sure there will be moments of fear and desperation and probably even tears.  But I will make sure that a little girl is loved, that the tires are aired up, that the folks are looked after.

Bell. . . Well, there will definitely be tears on her part.  She offered to give up directv and her allowance if he would stay home.  She is a daddy's girl and will be crushed.  Definitely tears.

I can't ask him not to take it.  It is a hard thing for a man to not have a job.  I can't tell him to take it.  It is a hard thing for a man like him to not see his family, especially his little girl, for days on end.

All I can do is pray for his safety. Pray that we be blessed.  That if this is the answer, the way be made smooth and peace given.  If it is not the answer, may God show us the answer.  All I can do is be supportive and love this man I married.

3 comments:

  1. I will also give up my directTV and allowance. No...but dang that kid.

    Jack will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He will. I have faith in him, in us. It will be an adjustment, but we will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all going to work out. We just have to keep hanging on. One day. One day is all we have to do at a time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete