Friday, March 29, 2013

Really, Actually Seven

Seven is so very far from zero . . . And so not far at all.

A  bit before 8 o'clock yesterday morning, seven years ago, our Bitty Girl made her grand arrival, amidst much crying and snotting and more crying on our part.

It had been a short and easy nine months once I was sure Jack was okay with the whole idea.  Initially, I thought he would be angry . . . He had always said he didn't need children.  I remember sitting down on the opposite end of the couch, almost in tears, afraid he would be depressed or mad once he heard my news.  In reality, he didn't stop smiling about it for days.  He spent nine months talking to my belly and promising it's tenant the love 10 children would need.

Once she arrived, the time went even faster.  There were rough spots.  There still are.  There were days when we considered running away to join the circus for an hour or two.  But it has been so rich.  I had no idea what parenthood would do to us, but I like it.  It is a good fit for us.  I get so very tired sometimes; she is a very high strung little thing.  I worry still about her speech and her troubles with school.  I don't remember anything being hard until I met Algebra.  It is still rich though.  Playing with bugs.  Making cookies.  Finding a snake in my car after someone accidentally let one go.  Playing Santa and tooth fairy.  Snuggling up for our bedtime story every night.  Every single night.

One of the best parts has been watching Jack be a dad.  It gave me a whole new side of him to love.  I certainly didn't know that his being a parent and a spouse would be sexier than his just being a spouse.

This year in particular has been about learning new things and growing up a little.  New house.  New school.  Reading real books on her own, not just those "see spot run" books.  Losing pets.  Getting pets.    It has been her first big year of change.

So . . . seven.  It is so very big.  So independent and opinionated. So fragile still.  So vulnerable still.

 She was counting down the days until her birthday, hoping for a puppy, a book, a video game, something magical.  There wasn't a puppy, but there were new books, some small cool things , and the much longed video game and a peach tree.  There was cake and grandmas and a grandpa and Auntie Rachel. There was even a piñata.

There was a tired little girl, who crashing from anticipation and excitement and probably too much sugar, cried when she heard the Glass House at Vinita might be destroyed, who tossed and turned forever before surrendering to sleep.

At the end of the day, all I could ask for was that we be given the grace and wisdom needed to raise a godly young woman who walks in truth and light, health, mercy, and many years of this bliss of being her parents.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's my favorite part: Jack's relationship with Bitty Girl. Seeing the two of them interact warms my soul. You? I had no doubts about you. You are a mom and a damn good one too.

    Happy Birthday to Bitty Girl!

    ReplyDelete