Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lets Have Chyawklit

It has been a grim fall and winter in so many ways.  Jack has struggled to find a job that allows him to keep some sort of family life intact, for both us and his parents.  It seems that Jack, Bell and Harold have taken turns being sick.  School has been as much battle as success.  I swear, I had no idea spelling would be this hard for Bell.  We have a had few behavior issues.  I think I have finally adjusted to a new school, now that we are a few months away from the end.  I feel like overall I am doing a good job, but I am really fretting about the kids' upcoming state tests and the transition to the new state standards.  I just looked at a year plan for the new expectations and it was overwhelming to think about getting that much writing and lit done in only a year.  To top it off, things around the farm have stalled - still have construction inside waiting and outdoor projects are in limbo.  And if I haven't griped and moaned enough, have I mentioned that I cannot sleep?

It just seems like it has been such a struggle in so many ways.  Everything.  Every week.

But it really hasn't.  I know we are tired and weary from just life.  But, really,  I know it isn't all a struggle.  Not all of it.

Those baby plants in the greenhouse must love the attention Jack Dear gives them because they are flourishing.  Tomatoes and peppers and flowers are promising abundance.

Despite my weariness with work and Jack's frustration with work, we are personally in a good place, that sort of place where we are easy with each other and enjoy the bits of time we do have.   We can still laugh.  We can still say, "listen to this," as we read a profound passage.   My kid thinks we are still mushy.

Overall, we are in a good place as parents.  Despite some meltdowns and struggles with school, Bell is so much fun.  Real fun.  I swear watching her can  be a magic elixir for what ails me.

And the school thing is getting better.

Actually, this week, school is the bright spot.  Yesterday, I finally met her speech therapist ( don't worry - Jack had met with her this year and they grew up together ) and had Bell's IEP meeting.  Many of you know Bell's story and her struggle to talk when she was a wee bitty girl.  I remember being so scared that all that creativity and all those words and ideas would forever be zipped up tight, far away in her head.  We have come so far.  SO FAR.  She does not lack for words and often needs to hush a bit and just listen to the workings of life around her.  Her articulation is still a little awkward.  Chocolate is her new favorite word to say.  It has left being koklit to being chyawklit.  Oh, that ch gets drawn out, but it is there and is a little clearer every time.  Her therapist felt like those remaining elusive sounds would come.  We might not doomed to be the Wucka family forever.  The R does exist, along with sh, th, j, and l.  We aren't there yet and braces will help in a few years, but the feeling is that we WILL get there eventually.  I went into the meeting fearing that they would dismiss her from the program since she has made so progress and there are never enough hours in a therapist's day to see all the kids they need to see.  It is fine.  Therapy will continue.  Progress will keep happening.

One and a half weeks till spring break.  Little one's birthday a few weeks later.  Lots to look forward to and dwell on instead of the less than perfect moments.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. I feel you. LIfe is just so stupid fast right now. These days. Always. I'm glad to imagine you and Jack finding moments to talk and laugh. That's the glue, right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even ordered seeds and you have little plants thriving. I read something in the Yoga Sutras recently about how we need suffering in our lives in order to make us appreciate the good.

    ReplyDelete