Tuesday, April 23, 2013

So Deeply Thankful

I type this with one hand tonight because the othe one is scratching lazy circles on a small pink clad back of a drifting off to sleep little girl.

I  wanted to submit a LTYM piece to Misti about our lives as parents - I wrote off and on for two weeks, but the words never gelled. Sometimes they just don't and I always figure those are the ones that just aren't meant to be.

This moment, this is the essence of it all, the essence that couldn't be captured with words.  It doesn't matter that she had a melt down in the school hallway last week over a torn paper flower.  It doesn't matter that she always looks like a ragamuffin because she won't do more than brush her hair.  It matters that every night, she still wants me to read to her, even though she can read to herself.  It matters that I can't wait to see her after school.  It matters that when she can't sleep, she asks if she can can snuggle up with me in her bed . . . Just until she drifts off.

We have good days - the last two have been like living with a small grown up who is well adjusted, eats what I cook, and is kind and helpful.  But oh my, there are days.  Believe me, she and I are too alike not to clash.  But at the end of the day, every day, she is my wee bitty girl and I am just so very thankful for this one life I have with her and Jack dear.

I seem to spend a lot of time in my head these days just so very glad for them.  If you've someone to love, kiss them and be thankful.

1 comment: