Sunday, May 5, 2013

Feeling Like an Owl with Friends

I know some of my non-Elgin friends always ask how the year is going with the new school, new faces, new everything.  I remember after first semester, my friend Misti said, "It has been a beast, hasn't it?"  And in so many ways it had.  I spent that first semester feeling overwhelmed with new policies, new names for policies I had at Comanche, not really knowing anyone well, a kid who was so bad I thought Jack would harm him, my own kid miserable.  It was just rough and it was certainly not due to my co-workers who were nice and friendly; it was just rough.

We are almost to the end of another semester and I can say it hasn't been a beast at all.  When someone asks where I am from, I don't still automatically say Comanche.  I had been there for 12 years and it was a hard habit to break.  I think some of it has to do with the removal of two particularly challenging students from my class, including the one Jack wanted  to harm.

Most of it has to do with my co-workers who are sliding over into being friends.  A few months ago, a bunch of the ladies went to dinner one night.  I had been invited before, but this is the first time I had gotten to go.  Amy brought me a bag of citrus that her family couldn't consume fast enough.  Kelli made a Facebook post wishing us well on our EOI tests.  Lori kindly let me ride with her on a first grade field trip.  Suzanne takes the cake though because she took my kid for an evening so Jack and I could have a date night last night.  That was huge - we have had no Bell free time since we moved almost a year ago.  All of these things sound so small, but they aren't small and they aren't the only ones.  They are all gestures of friendship, of kindness, of acceptance.  These women have all made a point to let me in the circle in so many ways, whether it just the "good mornings" in the hall or bringing me lunch when someone makes a Somic run.

I wasn't scared to come to Elgin, but I was was so sad about leaving my old crowd.  I still miss the lunch bunch.  I want to hear about their children and grandchildren and motorcycles and . . . and. . .


Even though I still miss them, I am so grateful for these women who let the new girl in.  It matters so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment