Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rucker, You're Not Half Bad

Believe it or not, not all my students loved me at the beginning of the year.  They are shocked that this does not phase me.  I tell them that I made peace with not being loved years ago.

They tell me this now as if it is some big secret they have been keeping all year.  But they have also started saying, "We really didn't like you, but Mrs. Rucker, you're not half bad."  Believe me, this is high praise from this tough crowd.

I am not sure when they realized that I was not the enemy, but I think that EOI tests actually were in my favor.  Apparently, they felt confident on those tests and liked the feeling.

Yesterday, I had a note on my desk from one of my more challenging students.  She thanked me for stubbornly getting her to do the work when she stubbornly avoided it.  She said I "out-stubborned" her.  High praise, I tell you.  I have had several comments and they are all over the map. Apparently I earned my approval by getting them to read Gatsby.  They also loved the lesson we did on "Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin.  Some kids have said, with a note of surprise, "We ACTUALLY learned a lot this year."  Turns out the ones who are doing concurrent enrollment next year are glad we learned how to do a research paper.  I even "talk with them."  That one took me awhile to figure out.  I think they expected me to just lecture and talk "at them."  Instead, I lean more to discussion classes where I throw out a question and turn them loose on it, like Dr. Frankland did with us in college.

Now, I know who some of these kids had last year.  She is an amazing teacher.  I think they just resented getting stuck with the new lady.  What ever the case, even though I can totally live with being the "mean" English teacher, it is good to know that a least a few have learned and enjoyed the process in my room this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment