Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sunshine at Last

Things seem to be looking up at our house this week.  Never mind that I am pinching pennies to stretch this month's pay check to cover an extra few weeks and a ton of doctor bills.  I am a little stressed, but not worrying about it that much.

Jack has been moving around a lot this  week - not every day and I know he had one bad day, but a definite upswing in mood and activity.  Yesterday he got a little feeling in his toes for the first time in over a month.  He still can't feel most of his foot, but every day seems a bit improved.

Here is the best news:  he had a consultation with a physical therapist today who thinks he surely doesn't need surgery.  He thought he probably needs to see see Jack a couple of times a week for the next few weeks to help Jack regain his strength and teach those nerves to work again.  He did say that Jack may be looking at a very long time before he had 100% feeling back, but Jack thinks he might be able to go back to work in a week or two.  The main thing is for Jack to not re-injure the disc and nerve while he is healing.


I have cried and prayed and begged God that he help us and Jack.  I know we aren't out of the woods yet.  Jack still has to manage sleeping in bed and wearing a shoe and standing all day, but I feel that mercy and healing is happening.  I am so very thankful.

Lesson to you all:  if you hurt your back and have nerve damage, ICE,ICE, ICE.  And avoid the chiropractor.  Jack used heat for a few days while I was at that AP conference, and between the chiropractor and heat did more damage. Hindsight.

I feel like I am in a little more of a controlled chaos mode now rather than full blown, monkeys swinging from the chandelier chaos.  The dismissal bell rang today with me having not a single paper to grade.  (I will have a new stack tomorrow, so it is a short lived victory).  My classes seemed to learn a lot this week.  My AP class is joy - just a burst of enthusiasm and fun and smarts floating through my room mid-morning.

At home, Harold's handyman came to mow my jungle.  Turns out there was a driveway lurking in there.  I got the tomatoes and pumpkins  fertilized and have held the army bugs at bay once again.  I even managed to feed my family well this week, or at least the non-picky, picky members.

Tomorrow is happy Friday.   I am thinking Cindy is right.  It will be Thankful Friday at this house.


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad they won't have to do surgery. Sending healing thoughts in your direction.

    ReplyDelete