Saturday, September 27, 2014

Do You Really Want to be a Teacher?

I know so many students former students who are planning on getting I to education and I just gave this urge to tell them to run to the mountain and look not behind them.

I have a frequent argument with my mother -in-law that goes something like this:

Me:  I really think it is time to quit and homeschool.
Rubilee:  But going to work everyday is good for you.  You wouldn't like to be home.
Me:  Actually, I would.
Rubilee:  But think of all the good teachers you would deprive Bella of.
Me:  It is just a gamble - we could just as likely have a bad teacher as a good teacher.
Rubilee:  Surely there aren't really that many bad teachers out there.
Me:   Let me tell you about ( and I rattle off a story about a former teacher of my own or one I know)
Rubilee:  Stunned silence
Rubilee: Well then, it is your duty to stay in and be a good teacher

We have this argument at least every other month.  Shs really believes I have this duty to serve mankind as a teacher.  Let me tell you that it is not your duty, not when it comes at the sacrifice of your own child or sanity.  We have been lucky and out of five teachers, Bella has had only one that wasn't a really good teacher.  That one was simply young and brand new and not experienced yet.    We have been lucky that I haven't gone completely batty.  But there have been moments.  There have been weeks. It is not my duty.  I just don't buy into that whole duty to mankind business.  I buy into follow my own bliss.  If it is right, then I will be doing something good for mankind on my own.  It will be something doesn't make my eye twitch.

I am a class sponsor so that means I get to spend my evenings building a float for homecoming next week.  I really despise this.  I do not care about floats.  If parents want their children to have floats, they should build them.  I am more worried about when my own child will get her homework done and eat supper since I will be a single parent that week.  I also honestly do not care if there is a prom or not, but my co sponsor is spearheading this year's fundraisers and as long as I was getting a float organized, I needed to get parents on board for fundraisers too.  And no, I do not get paid extra for any of this.

As much as I hate homecoming and raising money, here is what really galls me.  OAM.  Other academic measures.  It is a goal with measurable outcomes that teachers each had to write this year.  If we don't meet our goal at the end of the year, we lose 30% of our pay for next year.  We aren't allowed to write goals like "I will increase parent communication by 10%."  These goals are all tied to student performance.  So six thousand dollars depends on whether my kiddos come to school ready to learn and perform.  I can teach hard all day, but that doesn't mean my kids are ready to learn or perform.  Did they have breakfast?  Are mom and dad fighting?  Did they get high?  Are they pregnant?  Do they live in a shelter? These kids don't all live with June and Ward Clever.  I understand that many professions have merit pay, but many of those professions don't have so many factors beyond the control of the employee.  I am putting my fate in the hands of a teenager and his or her parents.  That is a frightening proposition that every teacher in Oklahoma faces this year.  It means we will spend more time making sure your children reach this goal and pass that ridiculous end of instruction test and less time teaching things that really matter.  Let's face it. Teachers don't make much anyway.  With sixteen years of experience I still make less than $40,000.  If I lose six thousand of that, I will  hand in my keys and walk out the door.

Why am I ranting to you?  It is an election year.  For starters, I am putting my hopes behind John Cox for state supe.   I think he is the teachers' best hope.  But governor is equally important.  Janet Baressi did a lot of bad things to education, but it was done with Governor Fallin's backing.  I am not telling you how to vote, but I will not be voting for Fallin.

  I will quit ranting with this final note - as much as I really do love teaching, I spend more time jumping through hoops than I do teaching.  If I had this to do over, I would make a different choice.  If we ever have enough money to start farming I will quit without a backward glance.

No comments:

Post a Comment