Thursday, December 27, 2012

An Uncertain Christmas


As Christmas approached this year, I fretted a bit about the weather.  In all my years, I can think of very few holidays that weren't spent with my family.  Jack's mom and dad usually did a holiday meal the day before or after.  Sometimes his brother would be there, but often not.  I can only think of 2 holidays that one of my brothers was missing.

The predictions of snow grew daily, bouncing from a measly 20% to an ominous 100%.  I really thought I was going to be very upset about not going to Loco.  I grumbled a bit.  I took gifts down on Sunday. I waited and the sun shone.

Sure enough, the sky darkened Christmas Eve and the temps dropped.  Morning came and Jack knew that Bell and I wanted to go to the clan gathering that is a  Wilson holiday, so I made food, we bundled up, and we set forth.

We set forth for all of five miles . . . And then returned.   It was just too slick and too risky.  Oddly enough, I wasn't upset or even annoyed.  Sometime the day before I had started thinking that perhaps we just needed to be here.  The snow began in earnest, gusting huge fat flakes and obliterating the lake from view.   We bundled up and trekked across the pasture, this time to have lunch up at the big house with Harold and Rubilee.  It was a contented, peaceful day.  Dusk found the three of us curled up together under blankets watching The Christmas Story. There was time to play with Christmas gifts. Time to just be us, with us, for us.

Jack has walked to his mom's twice everyday. There have been multiple sledding outings.
Attempted snow men.  Chunks of wood skidded out on the ice of the lake.  Brush piles finally burned.  Enough mud tracked into my kitchen to plant seeds.

The roads are still too slick to venture to Loco. . . at least our drive way is.  Jack spent the morning digging his Dad's truck out to take him to the ER.  Harold just couldn't seem to breathe. They are on their way home now, after several hours at the hospital.

Perhaps we will go to Loco tomorrow.  Perhaps it will sleet tonight and we won't get there until Sunday.  I am okay with that.  I am home already.

No comments:

Post a Comment