Sunday, January 13, 2013

Our other job

Jobs seem to be an issue around here.  I know we have both fretted over Jack not finding the right job  and my discontent with mine.  I worry about Jack's happiness, and I know he worries about mine.

This week, those jobs out in the world have been pushed to the back of our minds while we dealt with the job of home and family.

When we moved, we really moved to be close to Jack's parents.  This way, we can make the most of what time they have left.  I know that we never know the hour or minute when our time will come to an end, but chances are that  the Rucker parents in their 80's don't have as long as the Wilson parents in their 50's.  I wanted Jack and Bell to have time with them, time for Jack to reconnect and for Bell to really get to know them, but also time for me  to get closer to them.

There was also a growing need for us to be here to help out.  With age come health issues.  Off and on, they have allowed us to help with little things like meals and acting as chauffeur for shopping trips and doctor visits.  Sometimes, they have actually needed us.  Sometimes, we were probably just nice to have around, but this past week, Jack earned his keep.  His dad was in the hospital all week.  Everyday, Jack started his day getting us girls out the door smoothly and then headed across the pasture to help his mom.  Pharmacy runs.  Housework.  Whatever she needed, then he spent his day at the hospital, making sure his dad was comfortable and doctors were consulted.  I mostly just got to make sure things were smooth here at the house, with hot meals on the table and a kiss for when he walked in the door.  His dad is home now, stronger and in good spirits, but there is still worry.  Jack will spend huge amounts of time at the big house in the next few weeks until his dad is up and going again.  There will be nurses and therapists coming.  There will be tiredness and probably grouchiness.  There will be trips to the doctor.  In all of this, I mostly just get to be the laundry girl, kid watcher, cook, and provider of sweetness. It also means that worries about our world jobs are sidetracked.

That is fine.  I am at peace with being here, with having Jack up the hill more and at home less, with the state of things.  I watch Jack with his parents and there is so much love there.  There is pride, but also deep affection in his mom and dad when they talk about their kids.  I know Jack is tired, just bone tired right now, but he is also happy.  Being here is good for him, for all of us.  I think this current bout of their needing us will not be long, but I am sure there will be others.  Right now, our time is something we can give.


No comments:

Post a Comment